FIX ‘WOEFUL’ OVERSEAS STUDENT VISA SERVICE, SAY UK UNIVERSITIES
Anyone who has applied for a UK visa in China can attest to the patchy nature of service and variation across their offices. International students are “paying through the nose for a woefully inadequate document-checking service” for UK study visas, say universities. Some students are waiting 30 days for checks on the documents and biometric information they need, with the problem stemming from the outsourcing of these checking services to a private company.
- Until last November, students were able to arrange document checks through their local post offices.
- Now, universities say applicants too often face:
- waits of at least two weeks, sometimes longer, for appointments
- difficulties accessing and processing information online
- a support line charging £2.50 a minute
- paying up to £200, on top of the cost of the visa, for a premium service, still not getting appointments but being refused refunds
- long journeys for fast-track appointments